Assistant Coach/Director of Ops
Assistant Coach at Lipscomb University (Nashville, TN)
Posted in Division I on February 4, 2013
Position: Men’s and Women’s Track and Field/Cross Country Operations Coordinator and Assistant Coach
Reports to: Director of Track and Field and Cross Country
Primary Responsibility: Reporting to the Director of Track and Field and Cross Country, the assistant coach will be responsible for assisting in: the recruitment of qualified student-athletes, practice planning and organization, the counseling of student-athletes, meet management, compliance with NCAA, Atlantic Sun Conference, and LU rules and regulations. This position will also serve as the Operations Coordinator: organizing travel, recruiting, and other Operations duties. The position will involve coaching athletes in Men’s Cross Country and Distance Track event areas.
Candidates must possess strong organizational, interpersonal, and leadership skills, as well as a commitment to the academic mission of Lipscomb and a competitive Division I program.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities:
• Coaching: Under the guidance of the Director of Cross Country and Track & Field, develop effective training plans in the men’s distance events. Conduct practices and conditioning sessions for the Men’s Cross Country and Distance Track event areas. Prepare athletes in Men’s Cross Country and Distance Track for meets, and coach Men’s Cross Country and Distance Track athletes during meets.
• Administrative Responsibilities: As Operations Coordinator, coordinate all travel details for Men’s and Women’s Cross Country and Track & Field seasons, plan, organize and execute official visits, and plan and organize other events. Ensure compliance with Lipscomb, NCAA, and the Atlantic Sun Conference rules and regulations. Perform any other duties or responsibilities related to the assistant coaching position as needed or directed by the Director of Track & Field.
• Recruiting: Identify and recruit qualified student-athletes for the Men’s Cross Country and Distance Track event areas.
• Student Mentoring and Leadership: Be a leader for the student athletes. Assist with the spiritual development of the student athletes by leading devotionals, meeting with players one-on-one, and being available for the team members. Maintain an environment in which athletes can gain self-esteem and develop a positive self-image. Demonstrate an interest in the classroom efforts and off-season activities. Provide leadership that promotes positive attitudes, good sportsmanship, and Christian character. Provide ongoing individual support and guidance for team members. Monitor the academic status of each athlete to ensure that team members are maintaining eligibility.
• Other Duties: Promote the attitude among student athletes and assistant coaches that winning is important but only with a commitment to good sportsmanship and the overall welfare of the athlete.
Education: Bachelor’s degree required (preferably in Business, Communications or a related field). Master’s degree preferred.
• Three (3) three years of successful collegiate coaching experience. Preference will be given to experience in Athletics (Cross County/Track most desired)
• Sales experience preferred
• Experience coordinating events, people, and/or activities for large groups of people or organizations desired.
Job Related Skills:
• Requires computer skills (particularly data management/contact management/sales cycle management skills), confidentiality, decision-making skills
• Excellent communication skills, both on the phone/oral and in writing. The ability to work well with students, faculty, staff, community and media are all needed.
• Ability and initiative to work both within a team setting and alone at times are needed. This position will require creativity and flexibility. There will be specific direction in some cases, and opportunities to create your own effective ways of accomplishing the aspects of the position in other cases. This is a position that will require excellent time management, multi-tasking and attention to detail.
• Requires flexible hours and frequent travel.
To Apply:To apply for this listing and other available positions, click the link below. http://www.lipscomb.edu/hr/work-for-us/