The 400 Level Topical Courses are courses in specific areas of coaching practice. They serve as credit granting courses in the Master’s Endorsement Program and the Head Coaching Certification Program. They are also available to anyone who is not interested in certification, but simply wishes to use them for educational purposes or professional development. The Track & Field Academy is the only educational program for coaches that offers such a wide variety of topical courses, and thoroughly covers peripheral areas of coaching practice.
401. International Protocol for the Track and Field Coach. A 3 hour course in international meet protocol. The course is designed to familiarize the coach with international meet operational procedures so that the coach (and athlete) might be better prepared should these opportunities arise.
403. Testing & Measurement. A 4 hour course in testing procedures and data analysis. The course is designed to assist coached in developing testing programs, interpreting data, performance prediction, and to familiarize the coach with norms for high level performance.
404. Meet Management for the Track & Field Coach. A 6 hour course covering all facets of Meet Operations including meet information, entries, timing, equipment, scheduling, managing officials, promotions, athlete flow, and cross country meet management.
405. Sports Psychology for the Track & Field Coach. A 6 hour course covering key aspects of Sports Psychology pertinent to the coach including psychological skills, forming effective practice environments, motivational factors, and preparation for major meets.
406. Injury Management for the Track & Field Coach. A 6 hour course designed to improve the coach’s knowledge of injuries and ability to communicate with medical professional. The course covers tissues, common injury, the healing process, training modalities, and rehabilitation practices.
407. Weight Training for the Track & Field Coach. A 6 hour course in weight training for Track and Field. Topics include adaptations to weight training, weight training exercise selection, technique, and teaching, and weight training program design for all event area.
408. Sports Science for the Speed & Power Events. A 12 hour course covering applicative science for sprint, hurdle, jump, and throw training programs. Topics include motor learning, speed/power physiology, biomechanics, musculoskeletal function, and growth and development.
409. Sports Science for the Endurance Events. A 12 hour course covering applicative science for middle distance, distance, racewalking, and cross country training programs. Topics include several physiology related issues, biomechanics, and growth and development.
The 400 Level Topical Courses are typically offered annual in conjunction with the USTFCCCA Convention. A listing of the courses available can be found on our Upcoming Course Offerings page or in the Convention Schedule. To assist Master’s Endorsement Candidates, the courses are scheduled in a three year cycle, allowing an MEP student to take all MEP prerequisites within a three year period.
For More Information
For additional information about the 400 Level Topical Courses or related course offerings, contact Mike Corn at email@example.com or (504) 599-8903.
Frequently Asked Questions
What’s Special About the 400 Level Courses?
They aren’t offered anywhere else. The Track & Field Acdemy is the only program that offers courses in so many diverse areas, including areas peripheral to coaching practice.
Why take the 400 Level Courses?
The 400 level courses assist you in developing your coaching by addressing areas that are not commonly addressed in Coaching Education programs. In additional to becoming a more knowledgeable coach, you become better equipped as a problem solver in all coaching situations. These classes also count as credit to earning high level Academy certifications.
Will these courses certify me?
No, none of these courses alone constitutes a certification. However certain courses are required to attain Master’s Endorsements or Head Coaching Certifications. Check the Programs section of website for more details.
Can I take These If I Don’t want to Get Certified> .
Yes. The course are available to any coach at any time to use for professional development purposes, whether the coach is seeking certification of not.